Sunday 14 March 2021

My Cheltenham Day One picks

 On the first day of Cheltenham the fields have me rather disappointed. There's a desire to increase the number of races but there's races with only six horses in. It's not as exciting as normal but it doesn't mean the quality of horses and the racing isn't top notch. 

1:20 - For me it really is a two horse race being between Appreciate It and Ballyadam. These two have great form and even love the ground. I think this will give the audience a Supreme Novices' Hurdle to remember. 

1:55- For me I struggle to contemplate Shishkin not winning this. The betting isn't great with Shishkin but the odds show how strong of a competitor he is. 

14:30- In this I have picked out a wild card, this bet is an outsider. Vintage Clouds has reasonable form on this ground. Also after a recent wind surgery he seems to have picked up his form and after his prior wind op the performances picked up. My other pick would be Alnadam for the Skelton partnership. The softer ground should be in his favour. 

15:05- It seems like Goshen and Honeysuckle will both be near favourites and they will pose a huge threat to the rest of the field and will be hard to beat. For an outside bet Sharjah from Willie Mullins yard. This horse should suit the ground and the distance and I think the two favourites will set the pace Sharjah needs to come through horses to win. 

15:40- Here I think that My Sister Sarah really has an opportunity, it's clear that the distance won't be a problem for her. Her trainer Willie Mullins has notorious form in the Mare's Hurdle and I think it will be one of his mares to win this year too. 

16:15- Balko Saint not only has the form, he has also performed well at Chelts before, this little bit of experience on the track is only to his advantage. Houx Gris might go favourite but has more than a fair chance with consistent form and you can't go far wrong having Harry Cobden riding.

16:50- I have two picks here Remastered and Soldier Of Love both of these are outsiders so could easily be each way bets. Remastered should do well as long as he can finish strong and Soldier Of Love has the jockey-training combination of Paul Nicholls and Bryony Frost- they will be tough to beat.  

Have any picks that you think I should know about let me know! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lincoln Meeting

 As the start of the flat season looms ahead, we have a look into the history of the Lincoln meeting.  The meeting initially started at Linc...